Thursday, April 18, 2013

Surprise! Everyone liked it!

I'm trying out a new menu planning website for teaching a class about menu planning  / healthy eating.  I found this recipe on the website.  I tried it out on my family last night - and it was a hit! 

 

Southwestern Chicken with spinach and mashed potatoes

Serves 4-5
Ingredients:
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
4 boneless chicken breasts
1 T olive oil
1 cup grape tomatoes (my family doesn't do tomatoes :( , so I used red peppers)
16 cups fresh spinach leaves
2 pounds potatoes, pealed, quartered
2/3 cup buttermilk
4 T scallions, thinly sliced
2 T butter
1/2 cup sour cream
2 T fresh lime juice

Directions:

Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 15 min. Drain and return pan todry over medium heat. Off heat,

mash to desired consistency, then add the buttermilk, scallions, butter, and salt. Keepwarm over very low heat.

Combine brown sugar salt and spices for chicken. Coat on both sides with rub. Heat 1 T.oil in a skillet, add

chicken and cook until done, about 5 min per side. Remove and keep warm.

Heat 1T. oil in a skillet, add tomatoes (or red peppers) and saute 1 min. Add spinach and cook untilwilted. Season with salt and pepper.

Combine sour cream, lime juice and salt.

To assemble, place potatoes on plate,  put spinach and tomatoes on potatoes then put chicken and top with sour cream,




2 comments:

  1. I just started Plan to Eat's free trial. How did you like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i absolutely love it! I began in April of 2013 and have been using ever since. I've added over 100 recipes since then. I especially enjoy using the shopping list feature. I have Plan To Eat on my phone and just do my shopping from there - no more lists and did i forget anything. I usually go through the list before shopping and check off the staples that i have and anything else. I do all of my produce shopping at the Farmers Market, and then go to the grocery store to finish up. I do pick up good deals on meats and other things i can freeze, so a good freezer inventory is a must. Hope you're enjoying it too. Add me to your friends list and we can share recipes. my user name is Torok6

      Delete